You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery warranty for macbook pro

hello

I bought a macbook pro 2016 model from eBay in May 2019.

It had a battery replacement in February 2019 and it came with a one year warranty.

As a new owner of the macbook pro, is the battery still covered by the warranty?

it keeps shutting off randomly, and system report states battery as (replace now)

Monit app states the battery as permanent battery failure.

thank you

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 10:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 12:20 PM

madhobbit wrote:
i just spoke to apple online, she stated that the battery was only in warranty for 90 days,

and i would have to pay for the replacement myself

seems very poor to give a 3 month warranty on a brand new apple battery.

That’s incorrect. Worldwide terms are 1 year. Where approximately are you located? Again, here are the US retail terms, but with more on non Mac repair warranties:

Legal - Repair Terms and Conditions - Apple
Apple warrants for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of service (1) that service will be performed in a competent and workmanlike manner and (2) that all parts used to service your product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship, unless otherwise specified by Apple. Apple further warrants to the extent permitted by law, that batteries installed as part of Apple’s battery replacement service for Apple portable Mac computers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one (1) year from the date of service. The foregoing warranty is an express limited warranty and in the event of breach, Apple will either (i) re-perform the service, (ii) repair or replace the part, or (iii) refund the cost of the service provided. In order to claim under the warranty you must return your product to the location where service was performed, at your expense. 

If you had Apple do it outside the US, you can look up the terms here:

Legal - Retail Store Service - Apple

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2019 12:20 PM in response to madhobbit

madhobbit wrote:
i just spoke to apple online, she stated that the battery was only in warranty for 90 days,

and i would have to pay for the replacement myself

seems very poor to give a 3 month warranty on a brand new apple battery.

That’s incorrect. Worldwide terms are 1 year. Where approximately are you located? Again, here are the US retail terms, but with more on non Mac repair warranties:

Apple warrants for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of service (1) that service will be performed in a competent and workmanlike manner and (2) that all parts used to service your product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship, unless otherwise specified by Apple. Apple further warrants to the extent permitted by law, that batteries installed as part of Apple’s battery replacement service for Apple portable Mac computers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one (1) year from the date of service. The foregoing warranty is an express limited warranty and in the event of breach, Apple will either (i) re-perform the service, (ii) repair or replace the part, or (iii) refund the cost of the service provided. In order to claim under the warranty you must return your product to the location where service was performed, at your expense. 

If you had Apple do it outside the US, you can look up the terms here:

Legal - Retail Store Service - Apple

Aug 25, 2019 11:58 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:
Ok, then you will need to check with Apple - start a hardware issue request with Apple support in the upper right corner of this page; they will let you know if it is covered or not. Most replacements have a 90 days warranty.

Mac notebook battery replacements have 1 year warranty. These are Apple’s retail service terms for the US, but it’s similar for the terms that apply to mail in or AASP service.

Apple further warrants to the extent permitted by law, that batteries installed as part of Apple’s battery replacement service for Apple portable Mac computers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one (1) year from the date of service. The foregoing warranty is an express limited warranty and in the event of breach, Apple will either (i) re-perform the service, (ii) repair or replace the part, or (iii) refund the cost of the service provided. In order to claim under the warranty you must return your product to the location where service was performed, at your expense.

Aug 25, 2019 12:14 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:
That appears to apply to the battery replacement program for a mfr's defect from Apple (at least that would be my interpretation); I do not know if it applies to regular battery replacements necessary because the battery has reached its charging cycles maximum or just because of "old age" (which then may fall under the 90 day warranty). I also do not know if any parts repair/replacement warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner - some mfrs limit them to the "original purchaser".

I posted the US retail (Apple Store) repair terms. You can check here:

They have a Apple Global Online Support in different languages but don’t specify country. Apple retail repair terms are country specific.

Aug 25, 2019 5:56 PM in response to babowa

Apologies if I can’t quote this, but that’s not an option on an iPhone.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/generalservice/

General Service

These terms apply to the service of Apple products requested through the Apple Global Online Support (AGOS) site and Apple Contact Center, **that is not covered by Apple's warranty, AppleCare Protection Plan or statutory warranty rights**.

Then select a language:

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/generalservice/servicetermsen/

3.1 Service Warranty. For all service orders, Apple warrants that (1) services performed will conform to their description for ninety (90) days from the date of service, (2) except for batteries described in the subsection below, all parts or products used in service will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ninety (90) days from the date of service, and (3) batteries installed as part of Apple’s battery replacement service for Apple portable Mac computers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of service. This warranty is an express limited warranty. If non-conforming service is provided or a defect arises in a replacement part or product during the applicable warranty period, Apple will at its option, either (a) re-perform services to conform to their description (b) repair or replace the part or product, using parts or products that are new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (c) refund the sums paid to Apple for service.

Aug 25, 2019 10:30 AM in response to madhobbit

Since you bought it used and the battery was replaced only a few months ago, I would imagine that it wasn't an OEM battery. That means you would need to a) contact the seller to find out details (where it was purchased and who installed it) and b) contact the battery seller to find out if the warranty is transferable (probably not).

And, I would replace it now before it can swell and cause other damage.

Aug 25, 2019 12:07 PM in response to y_p_w

That appears to apply to the battery replacement program for a mfr's defect from Apple (at least that would be my interpretation); I do not know if it applies to regular battery replacements necessary because the battery has reached its charging cycles maximum or just because of "old age" (which then may fall under the 90 day warranty). I also do not know if any parts repair/replacement warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner - some mfrs limit them to the "original purchaser".

battery warranty for macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.