You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter

Will Apple's Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter work for a Thunderbolt HDD? My HDD only has Thunderbolt ports (2) which both work perfectly when connecting directly to my MacBook Air but since my iMac only has USB ports, every other adapter and cable I've tried does not work. I've been trying to connect this HDD via a 3rd party Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter which failed then I tried a Thunderbolt to USB-C cable which also failed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 2:22 PM

If I am reading you right, your external HDD has Thunderbolt ports (I assume you mean that your external HDD has either Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 ports). Also you say you have a 2017 27" Retina iMac, which as was stated has Thunderbolt 3 ports. I also have 2017 iMac with an external Thunderbolt drive. This is what I use and it works great.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2019 2:22 PM in response to photojeep1722

If I am reading you right, your external HDD has Thunderbolt ports (I assume you mean that your external HDD has either Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 ports). Also you say you have a 2017 27" Retina iMac, which as was stated has Thunderbolt 3 ports. I also have 2017 iMac with an external Thunderbolt drive. This is what I use and it works great.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2019 2:18 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you but I guess I didn't ask the question properly. My drive does NOT a USB C port. It has the original Thunderbolt port that I have seen also called a mini display port (or something similar). If it helps, it is a port that is rectangular with two of the corners beveled off so it only goes in one way.

It is the same port that exists on my MacBook Air (13.3 inch early 2015 model) that I use to plug in an exterior monitor. It also works perfectly well with this external HDD. My problem is that my iMac doesn't have this older Thunderbolt port.

Thank you again.

Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.