You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recover single folder from time machine backup from other Mac

My Mac Mini will not power up and I urgently need to recover - TODAY - a single folder from that Mac's Time Machine backup onto my other Mac. How can I do that?

Foolishly I haven't been using CCC to do an ordinary backup these last few weeks, just relied on Time Machine and not expecting my work Mac to die :(

Thanks for any help

Time Capsule

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 6:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 12:58 PM

Hello: afaik all that is wrong is that the power supply has failed and I'll be getting that checked out tomorrow. If indeed one HDD (or both - I have two internal 1TB HDDs) has failed then I'll try and recover in the way you have suggested, but I hope that that is not the case. Both HDDs were fully backed up in Time Machine but I wish I had backed up via CCC as well as that would have saved a lot of hassle.

I contacted Apple help and sorted out getting my crucial folder (and more) from my Time Capsule so I could get my client's work done. Phew!

Thx for your suggestions

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2019 12:58 PM in response to den.thed

Hello: afaik all that is wrong is that the power supply has failed and I'll be getting that checked out tomorrow. If indeed one HDD (or both - I have two internal 1TB HDDs) has failed then I'll try and recover in the way you have suggested, but I hope that that is not the case. Both HDDs were fully backed up in Time Machine but I wish I had backed up via CCC as well as that would have saved a lot of hassle.

I contacted Apple help and sorted out getting my crucial folder (and more) from my Time Capsule so I could get my client's work done. Phew!

Thx for your suggestions

Aug 11, 2019 7:39 AM in response to JFleet55

Remove the HDD from the Mac Mini and put it into a 2.5" USB enclosure or on a USB to SATA adapter.

If the Mac Mini's HDD is toast, then install a new HDD or SSD in the Mac Mini's and restore from Time Machine.

see > https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Unibody

FWIW if you have a 2011, 2012 or 2014 model with a dead HDD, then I highly recommend upgrading to an SSD.

see > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/mac-mini

recover single folder from time machine backup from other Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.