You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded iTunes music will not appear in iMovie list

I'm new to iMovie and I can't seem to figure out how to add a song to one of my videos. I've searched the internet on how to fix this, but nothing will work.

I have downloaded a few songs onto my MacBook Air, but in iMovie, the list where they theoretically should appear, is blank. It says to "select an item from the list to view audio waveform", but there is no list.

I have tried deleting preferences, as other support pages suggest to do this, and no luck.

Again, the music is fully downloaded and sitting in my library. How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 8:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 9:52 PM

Hi,

The following are some reasons why iTunes songs will not show up in iMovie.

Songs stored in the cloud will not show up in iMovie. You would need to download them to the iTunes media library.

Apple Music songs will not appear in iMovie.

DRM protected songs will not appear in iMovie.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2019 9:52 PM in response to tulip777

Hi,

The following are some reasons why iTunes songs will not show up in iMovie.

Songs stored in the cloud will not show up in iMovie. You would need to download them to the iTunes media library.

Apple Music songs will not appear in iMovie.

DRM protected songs will not appear in iMovie.

-- Rich

Jul 22, 2019 7:47 PM in response to tulip777

At the bottom of the iTunes display screen is the a message that "x number of songs are protected and unavailable"?

Close iTunes. Then open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Reopen iTunes. Now see if iMovie will read the iTunes library.

As a workaround import your songs to the desk top and from there drag them into iMovie.

-- Rich

Downloaded iTunes music will not appear in iMovie list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.