You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from daughter's individual storage plan to shared family plan

My daughter has an individual 50GB iCloud storage plan. I want to get the 200GB shared storage plan for the family. My daughter and wife are already in Family Sharing with me as the main account.

What's the best way to do this?

1) Cancel my daughter's 50GB plan; purchase the 200GB plan under my account and share with my daughter and wife? Will my daughter's data be lost when I cancel her 50GB account?

2) Upgrade my daughter's plan from 50GB to 200GB and share with me and wife? Not sure this can be done since my daughter is 14.

3) Other method?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 5:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 6:59 AM

Hi stlim,

Thank you for posting. It sounds like you want to add a family member who has an individual iCloud Storage subscription to your family storage.

You can do so using the steps in this link, titled Share an iCloud storage plan with your family. Regarding her pre-existing subscription, this text from the article should answer your question:

"What comes next

When you share your iCloud storage, any family members using the free 5GB plan are added to your family plan automatically.

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud storage plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time."

I hope this clears things up! Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2019 6:59 AM in response to stlim

Hi stlim,

Thank you for posting. It sounds like you want to add a family member who has an individual iCloud Storage subscription to your family storage.

You can do so using the steps in this link, titled Share an iCloud storage plan with your family. Regarding her pre-existing subscription, this text from the article should answer your question:

"What comes next

When you share your iCloud storage, any family members using the free 5GB plan are added to your family plan automatically.

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud storage plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time."

I hope this clears things up! Take care.

Upgrading from daughter's individual storage plan to shared family plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.