You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to upgrade the OS on an iMac20/2.4

It sat unused for a number of years, at Snow Leopard 20.6.3. I try to upgrade it to Mojave, it downloads it, but then the file macOSUpd10.14.5Supplemental.dmg.download when I click on it it says: the following disk image couldn't be opened. reason: not recognized.

Anybody has any advice? Thanks a bunch

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 1:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 1:30 PM

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, download the 10.6.8 combo updater, and download El Capitan from the Mac App Store. An iMac with those specifications can't be upgraded past 10.11.6.

(172690)

11 replies

Jul 6, 2019 10:16 AM in response to Mangalito

Niel, Thanks for your advise. The Combo updater worked well, got the system up to 10.6.8.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot locate the actual El Capitan in the App Store, nor anywhere for that matter.

I found osxupdates 10.11.1 thtough 10.11.6, along with combo updates 10.11.2 through 10.11.6.

Ehen I tried to execute those, it complains that the installer is needed and states that os x 10.11 is needed.

BTW safari would never successfully connects securely with the apple server. I had to use my old MacBook's chrome browser to download and transfer the files with a USB drive. Chrome on the iMac claims it needs mac os 10.11 at the very least to work.

And while at it, my MacBook, also Intel powered is at 10.6.8, if I do succeed in finding a version of El Capitan, would that be the newest os that the MacBook would support?

I thank you again for the advise and sincerely hope that you can point me somewhere where I can locate the elusive El Capitan

Miguel

Jul 6, 2019 10:28 AM in response to Mangalito

1. Click on the words 'El Capitan' above.

2. It's not possible to tell based on that information. Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu, click on More Info, and look for a code similar to MacBook#,#; it needs to be at least MacBook5,1, MacBookPro3,1, or MacBookAir2,1 to run El Capitan.

(172723)

Jul 6, 2019 11:46 AM in response to Niel

Niel,

I feel terribly dumb, it took me 3 times to realize that you were referring to your first original reply at the top of the chat!

I guess that I'll keep the MacBook as is, as I cannot imagine what it would involve to try to locate 10.7.5, nor what benefit I'd get from it.

I'll open the chat on the iMac and follow the link, as I tried it on the MacBook and it told me right away that the os could not be loaded on it!.

Hopefully this should be the solution. I'm most grateful for your counsel and your amazing patience to deal with me.

I got my MacBook over 10 years ago to help a friend with his, now I'm trying to help a second friend, I'm sure that you can tell that I'm not a real Mac person, even though I've owned every one from the original apple to the Lisa, the different flavors Macs, but never stuck with them, they were job mandated.

Miguel

Unable to upgrade the OS on an iMac20/2.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.