You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I copied text from an online document that I want to include in a Pages file. It pasted with "double spacing" and I need to make it single spaced. How do I eliminate the online formatting?

I copied text from an online document that I want to include in a Pages file. It pasted with "double spacing" and I need to make it single spaced. How do I eliminate the online formatting?

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 7:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 9:49 PM

Select the text.

Open the Format inspector

Choose Style

Look for "Spacing" with a popup menu beside it.

Change the settng to 1.0-Single.

If this is already the setting, go to the View menu and choose Show invisibles.

Is there a character in blue at the end of each line, and another at the beginning of the empty line following?

If so, Select and copy those characters.

Open Find/replace, and paste the copied characters into the Find box.

Type a space in the Replace with box.

Click Find next, then click Replace. Repeat a few times to see if this is going to repair and fix the issue. If so, click Replace All.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2019 9:49 PM in response to MollyBobcat

Select the text.

Open the Format inspector

Choose Style

Look for "Spacing" with a popup menu beside it.

Change the settng to 1.0-Single.

If this is already the setting, go to the View menu and choose Show invisibles.

Is there a character in blue at the end of each line, and another at the beginning of the empty line following?

If so, Select and copy those characters.

Open Find/replace, and paste the copied characters into the Find box.

Type a space in the Replace with box.

Click Find next, then click Replace. Repeat a few times to see if this is going to repair and fix the issue. If so, click Replace All.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 27, 2019 6:14 AM in response to MollyBobcat

There are two ways to show double-spaced lines on a web site within paragraph tags. And by the way, I tested this in Pages v8.1 on macOS 10.14.5:

<style>
.space2x {
  line-height: 2;
  width: 40%; /* so it will wrap early */
}
</style>

<p class="space2x">Some text reflecting n-tuple lines of double-spaced text</p>

and the old school way of making web page text double-spaced:

<p> Some text reflecting one line of text<br><br> and the next line of text<br><br></p>

If you copy and paste text from a website where double-spacing is managed by a style (as shown), then this content will copy/paste into pages as single-spaced, wrapped content.

The second example, using n-tuple HTML line breaks (<br>) causes Pages to treat each one of these <br> occurrences as a newline (or new paragraph mark), and you get multiple paragraphs that appear as double-spaced text when you paste. Selecting the text in Pages will show that the content is already single-spaced, paragraphs and attempting to set spacing to 1 has no effect.

You will have to show invisibles and edit out the extraneous paragraph marks for web text content that contains the HTML <br> syntax, as Pages will not do this automatically during a paste operation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.