You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE WATCH UNREAD MESSAGING COUNTER NOT MIRRORING PHONE

I have a Apple Watch Series 3 and a Iphone XR, the unread messaging counter is not updating on my Apple Watch after messages are read on my phone. I have checked the setting on both my phone and watch, I have also reset my watch. Both devices are up to date on updates.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 5

Posted on May 21, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2019 8:58 AM

1. Your say reset, but did you trey a proper forced reset or just a power off reboot. Forced Reset your watch to clear any confused software. Press and hold the Digital Crown and side button (together, about 10 seconds) then release the buttons and let the watch reboot.
  2. If that doesn’t work you could try unpairing the watch, and then re-pair to force loading all the software again.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2019 8:58 AM in response to hoefledj

1. Your say reset, but did you trey a proper forced reset or just a power off reboot. Forced Reset your watch to clear any confused software. Press and hold the Digital Crown and side button (together, about 10 seconds) then release the buttons and let the watch reboot.
  2. If that doesn’t work you could try unpairing the watch, and then re-pair to force loading all the software again.

May 21, 2019 11:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, read/unread status, does not sync between your phone and your Watch.

It works for me. I just sent a message from my work phone to my personal phone. It duly appeared as an unread indication in the Messages complication of my watch, and my personal phone. I ignored it for a few minutes then read the test message on my iPhone. The unread counter cleared from the Message complication on my watch.

APPLE WATCH UNREAD MESSAGING COUNTER NOT MIRRORING PHONE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.