You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does deleting photo on my iPhone will delete my photos on my iCloud ?

Hi guys,

So my photos are automatically saved to my iCloud Drive. But I’m running out of space in my phone.

I’d like to know if deleting my photos on my iPhone will delete the photos on my iCloud ?

I’m traveling so I need space to take more photos but I don’t want to loose the one I have.

Cheers guys!

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on May 17, 2019 12:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 1:08 AM

Hello. Yes, iCloud Photos syncs your photos across all devices, so deleting a photo on one device will delete it from iCloud and any other devices with iCloud Photos turned on. If you haven’t already you could turn on the optimise storage setting on your phone which will reduce the amount of space your iCloud Photos library takes up on your phone (full resolution photos are still retained in iCloud). The following support page tells you how to do this, along with an article on other ways you can save space in iCloud.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2019 1:08 AM in response to Chzybdah

Hello. Yes, iCloud Photos syncs your photos across all devices, so deleting a photo on one device will delete it from iCloud and any other devices with iCloud Photos turned on. If you haven’t already you could turn on the optimise storage setting on your phone which will reduce the amount of space your iCloud Photos library takes up on your phone (full resolution photos are still retained in iCloud). The following support page tells you how to do this, along with an article on other ways you can save space in iCloud.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

May 17, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Chzybdah

So my photos are automatically saved to my iCloud Drive.

Just to be clear...if you have the iCloud Photo Library enabled, your photos are not being synced with iCloud Drive, but with the Photo Library.

iCloud Drive is a separate syncing service for other file types and not typically used for photos.

As suggested, optimizing your Photo Library will get you back some local storage space.

Does deleting photo on my iPhone will delete my photos on my iCloud ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.