You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX - "Reveal in finder" is greyed out for file in browser, need to copy to library instead

I imported a clip from an SD card, but I think I forgot to select "Copy to Library" because somehow the file seems to have stayed in place and is merely linked. I didn't realize this until AFTER I edited my project. It's all done, and there are several clips in my timeline that reference this one file which is NOT in my library but on my SD card.

When I highlight the file in the browser, "Reveal in finder" is greyed out. I know where the file is, but this is odd.

I can't figure out how to copy the file from the SD card into the library and then relink the clips in my timeline to the file in the library. I tried "Consolidate Library Media" but it says that everything is where it needs to be. I tried copying the file directly into the library via Finder but that didn't help. If I eject the SD card, the clips that reference the file show "Missing Camera" on a red background with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. At this point, if I select the clip in the browser and choose "Relink Files" the Relink Files dialog box comes up, but there is NOTHING listed in it, and I can't do anything because the only button that isn't greyed out is "Cancel."

What on earth is going on here, and how do I copy this file off of my SD card into the library and relink it??

FCPX v10.4.6

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 9, 2019 5:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2019 5:58 PM

If you imported from an SD camera card, the file cannot be left in place. What's most likely happened is that the clip has not been properly imported and is still referencing the media on the card. Does it have a camera icon in the browser? Try using the reimport from camera function to bring the file into the library storage location.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2019 5:58 PM in response to fronzey

If you imported from an SD camera card, the file cannot be left in place. What's most likely happened is that the clip has not been properly imported and is still referencing the media on the card. Does it have a camera icon in the browser? Try using the reimport from camera function to bring the file into the library storage location.

May 9, 2019 8:35 PM in response to fronzey

I'm going to answer my own question here. I tried to see if I could share/export the project and it said "This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera."

The solution (found here) is to (1) Highlight the clip causing issues in the Browser, (2) Click File > Import > Reimport from Camera/Archive, (3) Click Continue. This fixed the problem.

FCPX - "Reveal in finder" is greyed out for file in browser, need to copy to library instead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.