You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect different MIDI keyboards or controllers to the same setup

Hello to everybody,

Is there a way to setup Mainstage 3 so that no matter what keyboard is connected it works without needing any further adjustments?

For example, use keyboard A in studio and keyboard B or C in an other place, with same concert setup. What I really need to keep in common with different keyboards are just 3 pedals (sunstain, 2nd controller, expression) and usual modulation and pitch wheels.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 9:10 PM

Lifenoise, I gotta say that’s a very clever workaround i.e. multiple

devices having the same name. I’m currently using Plogue Bidule to route multiple devices to a single Bidule output, just to achieve what you’ve done by renaming devices. Very clever.

On a a related note: why do you have devices connected to each other in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility? What does that do, and how did you configure that setup?

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2019 9:10 PM in response to lifenoise

Lifenoise, I gotta say that’s a very clever workaround i.e. multiple

devices having the same name. I’m currently using Plogue Bidule to route multiple devices to a single Bidule output, just to achieve what you’ve done by renaming devices. Very clever.

On a a related note: why do you have devices connected to each other in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility? What does that do, and how did you configure that setup?

Apr 30, 2019 3:54 PM in response to lifenoise

Thanks a lot lifenoise for your kind and prompt reply.

I am at entry level with MainStage application and that's probably the reason why I am not sure to have got your point.

This is a screenshot of my MIDI studio:

my idea is to connect and play with Nord Stage 2 in studio and with Studiologic SL88 or Casio at home by same concert setup. Do you mean I have just to rename for example the Studiologic as Nord Stage 2? Then MainStage will recognise the different keyboards just as the same one?

In the next days I will give it a try and going a bit more in deep with MIDI studio configuration.

Cheers.

May 1, 2019 4:35 AM in response to Madddcow

Connecting devices just helps to clarify the routing. When I first started using Audio MIDI Setup, I thought it was more relevant. When I create a new external device (by clicking the + button in the task bar) and connect it to the actual USB/MIDI device that's physically connected to the Mac, I can see the actual name of the keyboard I'm currently using. You'll notice in screen shot 1, hovering over the USB/MIDI device shows the original device name. You can see at a glance what is connected by renaming the new external device. I realize my previous post was not clear. I've been using this method so long that I hadn't given much thought to a logical explanation. I need to update my external device names.

Connect different MIDI keyboards or controllers to the same setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.